Skip Navigation

Donations to a Federal Executive Agency

If securities have been received as a donation to a Federal Executive Agency, please contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service to receive instructions on where to mail physical securities or wire electronic securities. Physical securities will need to be sent by registered mail or special messenger.

In order to liquidate the securities for your agency, the documents listed below are needed:

Letter of Intent

A Letter of Intent is needed which details exactly what is to be liquidated, how many shares, where to send the proceeds, and the like. It must be printed on agency letterhead and should include the following:

  • Agency's instructions for sale of security
  • Reference to the security
  • How the security was obtained (e.g., donation)
  • Agency Location Code (ALC) for deposit of proceeds
  • Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
  • Physical address of agency
  • Agency contact name, telephone number, fax number and e-mail address
  • Signature of a supervisor
  • Contact person, other than the supervisor

If multiple securities are being sent at the same time, one Letter of Intent is sufficient as long as all securities are referenced in the letter.

To use a Letter of Intent template, select the appropriate file for a donation below:

Note:To read or print a PDF document, you need the Adobe Acrobat Reader (v5.0 or higher) software installed on your computer. You can download the Adobe Acrobat Reader from the Adobe Website.

Note: If you need help downloading...

Direct Registration (DRS) Advice

If the security is with a transfer agent a Direct Registration (DRS) Advice form must be completed.

We’ll need the following information to complete the form if the security is registered in the agency’s name.

  • The Investor DRS account number at the transfer agent.
  • The CUSIP number for the security.
  • Your agency name, address and contact person
  • Your agency’s Tax ID number.
  • Number of shares
  • Type of security (common stock, warrant, etc)
  • A copy of the most recent statement from the Transfer Agent of Issuer

The entity that has the security with the transfer agent needs to have submitted an IRS form W-9 to the transfer agent to record their taxpayer identification number.

The taxpayer identification number on file with the transfer agent must be the same as the taxpayer identification number on the Direct Registration (DRS) Advice form.

The name of the entity on file with the transfer agent must agree with the entity on the Direct Registration (DRS) Advice form.

For any special circumstances not addressed here or securities are not listed in the agency’s name, please use the “Contact Us” link at the top of this page.