Redeeming (Cashing) HH or H Savings Bonds

On this page:

What is my HH or H bond worth?

An HH or H bond is worth its face value. If the bond says $500, it was bought for $500 and is now worth $500.

(It made money for you by earning interest every six months up to its final maturity date.)

An HH or H bond's face value may include deferred (postponed) interest from an earlier bond. If it is carrying deferred interest, you will receive that interest as part of the bond's face value when you redeem that bond. For more about deferred interest on HH or H bonds: see Tax Considerations for HH or H bonds.

Note: If you find a bond that belongs to someone else or buy a bond on an online auction site, you cannot redeem it. Savings bonds cannot be transferred, sold, or traded like tradable, marketable securities in a secondary securities market.

Note: If you inherit a bond through the death of the bond owner, see Death of a Savings Bond Owner.

What if my bond is still earning interest?

H bonds have all passed their final maturity dates. They no longer earn interest.

HH bonds earn interest for up to 20 years. Interest is paid every six months. To see in which months we pay interest on your HH bond: see Rates and Terms for HH bonds.

When you redeem an HH bond, we do not pay interest for part of a six-month interest earning period. Therefore, it is wise to redeem an HH bond shortly after its interest-paying time.

If you send your HH bond in for redemption so that the bond is received in the month before interest is due, we will hold your bond until the following month. For example, if you have HH bonds that pay interest in June and you send them in for redemption in May, the Treasury Retail Securities Site will hold your bonds and your request until June so that you receive the June interest. They will redeem your bonds after the June interest has been paid.

How do I redeem my HH or H bonds?

Your local bank or other financial institution cannot redeem HH or H bonds.

However, the bank can help you by

  • certifying or guaranteeing your signature on FS Form 1522 (download or order)
  • sending the bonds, FS Form 1522, and any supporting documents (if needed), to Treasury Retail Securities Site, P.O. Box 214, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214.

We pay your HH or H bonds through direct deposit.

If you are not listed as the owner or co-owner on the bond, you must show that you are entitled to redeem the bond.

Note: Individual savings bonds may not be split and must be distributed in full.

How do I authorize an attorney-in-fact to redeem my bonds?

For instructions, please see FS Publication 0105, "Power of Attorney: United States Savings bonds & Notes."

Will I get a form for my taxes?

Yes. We will mail an IRS 1099-INT by January 31 of the year following the year in which we paid interest. Tax Considerations for HH or H bonds.

Can I find out if an HH or H bond has already been replaced or redeemed?

If you have the serial numbers for HH or H bonds, we can look up the status for you.

If you are the owner or co-owner of the bonds, send a signed request to the address below. Include the serial numbers of the bonds you are asking about.

If the owner or both co-owners have died, you must provide proof such as a copy of the death certificate(s), with your letter and explain in the letter how you are entitled to information about the bonds.

Send your letter to:

Treasury Retail Securities Site
PO Box 214
Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214